Regardless of how you feel about the outcome of the Super Bowl (or even if you care), last night was a great night to observe American culture at its best (or worst). The Super Bowl is its own little stimulus plan for us to get over the hump until Presidents’ Day (and the Oscars) in February. It is a day to delight in the creativity of Madison Avenue. I’m not going to embed any video of these ads, in part because of copyright, but also because I’m not shilling for any of these products. Also, this is just my opinion, and you-all are entitled to yours as well. So here goes:
- What is GoDaddy trying to tell me about their product? To this day I still have no clue, but I’m sure I don’t need it.
- Some of the lines from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off have become part of my family’s daily lexicon, but I thought this Honda spot was just trying too hard to get all of them in. And frankly, Ferris isn’t the funniest character in the movie….Mr. Rooney is.
- I can’t include any spot with the NBC logo embedded in it because they totally abuse their “host station” position… really, just SMASH me already!! But Betty White can do no wrong as “The Voice.” Yes, she is so much more than a hot body.
- Speaking of hot bodies, David Beckham, shot in B&W in his new tighty-whities for H&M. In the words of Dr. Jedi, always the scientist, “Now, that’s somebody who should be sharing as much of his DNA as possible.”
- Volkswagen scores again with Bolt the dog and his plan to get back out the doggie door. I’m certain all dogs hear James Brown in their heads when they aren’t thinking about bacon. And then Darth Vader shows up again in another VW spot.
- Why does Ms. Brown M&M have such a ‘tude? Shouldn’t she have been modeled after Hillary Clinton or Sonia Sotomayor? Those are M&M’s you could take seriously.
And I was suitability impressed with the age-appropriate half-time show featuring Madonna. I found out her duds were Givenchy Couture (thanks, Tom&Lorenzo) and she kept those Golem arms and gnarly hands covered. The songs were mostly old chestnuts but her folks know how to work a venue for maximum effect. I like that Niki Minaj with her crazy eyes; she looked like like she was having a good time, but MIA, would it kill you to smile a little?
I know, everybody’s a critic.